The average shipping container that enters the United States is only 65% full. Differently put, the equivalent of 8 million empty containers enters the US each year. Silq, founded by former Flexport executives, is eliminating this wasted space. By combining factory inspections with freight forwarding, we forecast production timelines, pool together similar shipments, and reduce the cost of shipping. Then, by building beautiful software, we enable our clients to manage, ship, and track their orders in one place.
The thing is, freight forwarding is hard. It’s a fragmented industry where contracts are weakly enforced and shippers are price-sensitive. That means we spend a lot of time finding the right customers to partner with and earning their trust through consistent shipping services. That’s code for “lots of sales” and “great operations”. With <50 employees at Silq, internal tools are key to our success. As the sole PM responsible for all internal tools, you will enable our sales and operations teams to maximize their potential.
Some projects that you might work on include:
- Consolidation Planning - Help our clients reduce their cost of shipping by identifying opportunities to consolidate shipments within Silq’s network. Aka - UberPOOL for Freight.
- Operator Workflows - Maximize operational efficiency by automating parts of the freight forwarding process and integrating with other supply chain tools
- Document Digitization - Convert paperwork into data by processing, validating, and digitizing all documents associated with a shipment
- Quoting - Enable account managers to configure custom rates for our clients and initiate shipments with just one click
- Drive end-to-end product development for all our internal tools
- Build systems that improve the lives of our sales and operations teams
- Ship products that both benefit your users today and remain relevant for months to come
- Influence the company’s roadmap and priorities as one of two product managers reporting directly to the CTO
- Lead cross-functional teams across engineering, design, and operations toward a common goal
- Geek out about supply chain, shipping, and logistics!
- Bring the donuts.
You should have
- 3+ years of experience in product management, ideally working on B2B products. Or experience in strategy consulting with a technical degree.
- Excellent communication skills. You can present ideas to business stakeholders, jam with software engineers, and drive clarity through crisp documentation.
- Strong critical thinking skills. You can structure ambiguous problems, determine what to focus on, and measure the impact of your work.
- An eye for good products. You can articulate your vision through user flows, scrap together wireframes, and work with designers to craft fluid experiences.
- An owner’s mindset. You work best with minimal supervision, are hungry to see the outcome of your work, and can rally your team toward a common goal.
- Humility. You recognize that your team is filled with experts in design+engineering+operations. You are the generalist in the room and you’re determined to help the experts succeed.